Made with Love

A university professor is no more important than a McDonalds worker

Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
Everyone is talking about robots replacing 'unskilled' workers at McDonalds.

Well, tell me, how would a robot not be able to replace a professor that gives lectures at a university?

Is the professor more skilled or important than the McDonalds worker? No.

In 1994, when I was at UWO, my professor actually gave me VHS tapes of his lectures. He wasn't necessary, I was able to watch him on tape. Back in 1994, the professor needed to be in the classroom was less necessary than the MCD worker in the restuarant.

Madman

Reviewer
Joined Aug 12, 2011
Messages 17,534
Free trade and technology will make everyone redundant. This is why more and more are living with their parents, no jobs, the man is keeping working folks down!

U

User-E

Foxconn replaces '60,000 factory workers with robots'

Apple and Samsung supplier Foxconn has reportedly replaced 60,000 factory workers with robots.

One factory has "reduced employee strength from 110,000 to 50,000 thanks to the introduction of robots", a government official told the South China Morning Post.

Xu Yulian, head of publicity for the Kunshan region, added: "More companies are likely to follow suit." China is investing heavily in a robot workforce.

In a statement to the BBC, Foxconn Technology Group confirmed that it was automating "many of the manufacturing tasks associated with our operations" but denied that it meant long-term job losses.

"We are applying robotics engineering and other innovative manufacturing technologies to replace repetitive tasks previously done by employees, and through training, also enable our employees to focus on higher value-added elements in the manufacturing process, such as research and development, process control and quality control. We will continue to harness automation and manpower in our manufacturing operations, and we expect to maintain our significant workforce in China."

Since September 2014, 505 factories across Dongguan, in the Guangdong province, have invested 4.2bn yuan (£430m) in robots, aiming to replace thousands of workers.

Kunshan, Jiangsu province, is a manufacturing hub for the electronics industry.

Economists have issued dire warnings about how automation will affect the job market, with one report, from consultants Deloitte in partnership with Oxford University, suggesting that 35% of jobs were at risk over the next 20 years.

Former McDonald's chief executive Ed Rensi recently told the US's Fox Business programme a minimum-wage increase to $15 an hour would make companies consider robot workers.

"It's cheaper to buy a $35,000 robotic arm than it is to hire an employee who is inefficient, making $15 an hour bagging French fries," he said.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36376966

peace

Reviewer
Joined Dec 23, 2010
Messages 29,067
Prim0 said:
I don't know about more important....it depends on how you define "important". Important to what or who. Obviously if the prof is paid more, then someone values their skills more than the McD's employee.

It's all about trade and what people value. Has Kim Kardashian produced anything of intrinsic value....no....but she's still raked in cash. Musicians, athletes, actors.....do they provide any intrinsic value? Could life go on without them? Yes, but it might not be so entertaining.

A prof has acquired a set of skills beyond the average. There are fewer people who can lecture on a topic than can run the french fry machine, therefore the rarer one tends to be more valuable. They may have the same rights to opportunities in this life, but that doesn't mean they have any rights to the outcomes of their choices. Perhaps the McD's employee could've been a professor and earned the perks that go with it but decided to smoke weed every day instead of studying any books. There are a million reasons why someone could end up at the top or the bottom. No one is guaranteed success. There are many talented people out there who have worked hard to develop a strong knowledge base and skill set who are struggling....and there are people out there with almost no talent, no work ethic, no skills, no knowledge or much of anything else to offer society who are doing very well by the usual standards.

It's life....it's not fair. Do the best you can and don't blame anyone else for your problems.
FIne! Life aint fair!!:sorry2:

Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
The government will print to bridge the gap initially. Then, the producers will not get value for what they sell from the people who are getting the money without producing.

Then, you will have government MASSIVELY push new sector training and development at an even greater cost.

More mal-investment. More debt. Less production. More currency. More inflation.

Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

That's why God put Asian women on this Earth. To distratct us from reality - THE MATRIX.

Joined Sep 10, 2015
Messages 1,478
6d13a65acdd74d70c58b6cd81837b248_f.jpg

angela05.jpg

black.dress.02.jpg

tumblr_o48ajgbOQk1rke7deo1_1280.jpg

Asian Angela. I always tell her that I know she isn't real - just a fantasy digital output created by The Matrix.

clubxxx

Joined Dec 9, 2012
Messages 16
Legalized slavery is necessary to continue law and order. If material process to continue we will have to think of something for millions of otherwise redundant people to do. Unpaid internships is a good first step.
Or make robot works taxable like read workers at an assumed wage of $30 an hour - payable by those who use them. Course you have to call it a license fee.
The 80s promised that by the late 90s we have a 20 hour work week from the billions saved by computeriation. The money was saved and used to improve the march towards slavery. Robots will make things much better, your see. The Trump will save us.

Top Bottom